Nissha Museum of Printing History

  1. home
  2. Nissha Museum of Printing History

About the Nissha Co., Ltd. Main Hall


The land where the Headquarters of Nissha Co., Ltd. is located was the very center of the city in the Heian-kyo era (794-1868), when Kyoto was the capital of Japan. It is the former site of the Suzakuin hermitage, which is where successive emperors including Emperor Uda (867-931) and Emperor Murakami (926-967) resided after their abdication. Later, in 1906, the current building was constructed as the headquarters of the spinning company, the former Kyoto Menneru Co., Ltd. It is therefore an extremely valuable building from the Meiji period (1868-1912) with already more than a century of history behind it. Nissha Co., Ltd. took over the building in 1948 and continued to use it as the company’s headquarters for 34 years until 1980.

A full-scale structural inspection by specialists began around 2003, and conservation and repair efforts, including seismic reinforcement work, was completed in December 2008. The Nissha Museum of Printing History opened on the first floor in the following year. The operation of the Museum was wholly consigned to NISSHA FOUNDATION by Nissha Co., Ltd. The building was recognized as a National Registered Tangible Cultural Property by the Agency for Cultural Affairs in December 2011 and will be preserved long into the future as a structure representing culture and history.

History of the Main Hall

1895 Establishment of Kyoto Menneru Co., Ltd.
1898 Construction of a factory at the site and start of operations
1906 Construction of Headquarters (the present Main Hall)
1929 Establishment of a printing business by Naoki Suzuki, the founder of Nissha Co., Ltd.
1946 Establishment of Nissha Printing Co., Ltd. (the present Nissha Co., Ltd.)
1948 Purchase of the land and buildings at the site by Nissha Printing Co., Ltd.
2008 Completion of conservation and repair work on the Main Hall
2009 Opening of the Nissha Museum of Printing History
2011 Registration of the Main Hall as a National Registered Tangible Cultural Property
2017 Renaming of the company to Nissha Co., Ltd.
2022 Revised the foundation name to NISSHA FOUNDATION

Guide to visiting the Main Hall
Nissha Museum of Printing History

Please make a reservation call by the day before for both groups and individuals. There is no fee for entry.

+81 75 823 5318

The secretariat of NISSHA FOUNDATION
Opening hours: 10am to 5pm
Closed: Saturdays, Sundays and holidays